Tuesday, January 17, 2012

8 years..






A flash back in time.. My mom my Nanny and me.. I am the one in the middle :)




8 years this month ago, I lost one of the most important people in my life. I lost my beloved grandma or Nanny as I called her. Nanny meant the world to me. She'd been there my whole life. I can't remember ever not knowing her. My mom moved in with her when I was just a infant and for most of my life after that I lived with my mom and my grandma. She was always there when I needed someone to talk to. She taught me to love coffee, by three years old I had my first coffee cup. We'd talk every morning over coffee. She was never too busy to take time out of her day to play games with me, let me do crazy things to her hair. When she pulled out her sewing kit she always gave me a bag of buttons to play with. Her green eyes always lit up when I walked into a room and her smile could make me smile. I have hundreds no thousands of wonderful memories with my Nanny but my favorite memories were riding into to town in her old truck which she named Nelly.

(And now you guys know where I learned to name my car from. For those that don't know my car's name is Ruby!)


As we rode in old Nelly into town we'd sing songs the whole way. Who needed a radio when your nanny could sing. Let me tell ya that woman could sing! She was once offered a singing deal and turned it down.. Her voice was amazing... My favorite song was about swinging on a star.. I am posting the words below..

My Nanny taught me to appreciate stars, to find their beauty and wonder. To this day stars are my favorite things!



Thinking about Nanny makes me smile, makes my heart fill with Joy. I can't tell you how much she taught me in life. She taught me to Pray, She taught me to always say please and thank you. She said you can never use those words too much. She taught me to love animals with my whole heart and treat them as I would my best friend. She taught me smiling is always the best way to start your day. She taught me coffee doesn't really stunt your growth. She taught me to never be too busy to play a game of Candy Land with someone you love. I could go on and on and on..


I know that I wouldn't be who I am today if it weren't for my Nanny... I was the luckiest little girl in the world to have her...

Would you like to swing on a star
Carry moonbeams home in a jar
And be better off than you are

Or would you rather be a mule
A mule is an animal with long funny ears
Kicks up at anything he hears
His back is brawny but his brain is weak
He's just plain stupid with a stubborn streak
And by the way, if you hate to go to school
You may grow up to be a mule

Or would you like to swing on a star
Carry moonbeams home in a jar
And be better off than you are
Or would you rather be a pig

A pig is an animal with dirt on his face
His shoes are a terrible disgrace
He has no manners when he eats his food
He's fat and lazy and extremely rude
But if you don't care a feather or a fig
You may grow up to be a pig

Or would you like to swing on a star
Carry moonbeams home in a jar
And be better off than you are

Or would you rather be a fish
A fish won't do anything, but swim in a brook
He can't write his name or read a book
To fool the people is his only thought
And though he's slippery, he still gets caught
But then if that sort of life is what you wish
You may grow up to be a fish
A new kind of jumped-up slippery fish

And all the monkeys aren't in the zoo
Every day you meet quite a few

So you see it's all up to you
You can be better than you are
You could be swingin' on a star










I can hear her voice singing this song.... Oh.. Makes me cry a little...

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful tribute! We were both lucky little girls-blessed by God in giving us your Nanny and my Grammie. We lived parallel lives for a while. Special friend... That is really neat! Wish I knew your Nanny! I will see her in Heaven. Perhaps she and Grammie are preparing for our arrival.

    ReplyDelete